Sunday, October 20, 2013

Liebster Award (or half of it at least)


So I have been nominated by the lovely Chan from Indian Ocean Polish (btw, thank you so much for your kind words, means a lot! And I'm so sorry this took forever) for the Liebster Award, which I understand is a way for new bloggers to be discovered and to discover other relatively new blogs. Sort of like chain mail.

When you are nominated you are meant to:
1. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
2. Answer 11 questions given by the person who nominated you.
3. Nominate 11 more bloggers with less than 200 followers
4. And then write them 11 questions to answer.



To start off, here are 11 random facts about myself:

  1. I'm naturally blonde, but I currently have brown hair (I used to have white blonde hair in high school a few years ago)
  2. I love to read
  3. I just started working in a medical centre
  4. I've suffered from migraines since high school and I hate them so much
  5. I have a phobia of ears, it's really unusual but I hate everything about them, I don't like people touching mine or having to touch someone else's, I refuse to share headphones and I can barely look at them (I'm fine touching and looking at my own though)
  6. I'm a middle child
  7. Recently I discovered I suffer from kidney stones
  8. I've worn glasses since I was 3, I'm currently 21
  9. I don't hate needles like most other people, I'm so calm and completely unfazed when I have to have a blood test or get a local anaesthetic 
  10. I'm pretty sure I'm accident prone, I've injured both arms a few times, bruised my knee bone in three different places, twisted an ankle and I always have bruises
  11. I have the quote "From my rotting body, flowers shall grow" tattooed on my ribs and it means a lot to me

And here are my answers to Chanfie's questions!

1. What/who inspired you to blog?
I had been wanting to do it for a while but didn't have the motivation until I started doing a Nail Technology course and my best friend told me I should make a portfolio of my nail designs and she agreed a blog would be a great idea!

2. Keeping with the 11 theme of this award, what are your 11 favorite polishes? 

Oh this will be tough, but in no particular order: 
My Boyfriend Scales Walls - O.P.I
Feeling Blue - Models Own
Royal - Revlon 
Instyle Coral - Rimmel
Suzi Says Feng Shui - O.P.I 
Bamboo Shoot - Sally Hansen 
Cool Cat - Sugar Baby 
Azure Martini - Savvy by DB 
Mint Julep - Savvy by DB
Vanellope - Lilypad Lacquer (from the August What's In-die Box?) 
Splash and Dash - Savvy by DB
Most of them are blue so I guess it's obvious that it's my favourite colour.

3. What is your favourite type of nail art and how long have you been doing it?

I think it would have to be either splatter or cling wrap, I think splatter nail art was the first proper nail art I ever tried so it's stuck with me for about a year and a half. I've only been doing cling wrap nail art for a few months, but it always looks great.

4. Do you ever experiment with different nail shapes/lengths? Which is your favourite?

Right after I started blogging I decided to make my nails square and I loved it! They seemed to grow better, but they were also very prone to breaks, I've had squoval shaped nails forever and they're my go-to shape but I think square are my favourites. I like medium length nails too because nubs don't suit my fingers.

5. Do you have other hobbies other than painting your nails?

I read a fair bit and watch a lot of TV shows, but mostly I paint my nails because it's a better distraction from everything and they don't make me sad like books and TV shows can haha. I also watch a lot of YouTube. It started with MyDrunkKitchen, which led me to DailyGrace which led to YouDeserveADrink and now I can't get enough of those three girls and they all led me to other great channels and I just love YouTube so much haha.

6. What non nail related beauty product could you not live without?

Foundation and blush! I love a good foundation and blush combo.

7. How many photo's on average do you take of each mani?

What an interesting question! On a good, sunny day I probably only take about 4-8 and cull it down to just 3 or 4. But on a bad day I'll take up to at least 20 and hope 1 or 2 of them look good enough.

8. What is the biggest challenges you've faced with your blog?

Taking photos, for sure. I use a camera I'm not familiar with yet because it's my dad's and I don't know all the settings or whether I'm allowed to change them haha. Also because I live in Melbourne and everyone knows it's weather is unpredictable, so natural lighting is a bit unreliable. At the start, I struggled using blogger though, but I've gotten past that.

9. What technique that you have not yet tried yet would you like to master?

Hmm, I think that would be chevron. I've seen so many different techniques but I haven't yet attempted any of them because it makes me nervous haha. I also haven't come across chevron scissors, which I would love so I can make my own decals.

10. What's your go-to mani when you're pushed for time?

I like to go for a simple one colour mani most of the time! Maybe with a glitter accent if I'm in the mood. I try to leave enough time though if I know I'll be going somewhere that I want to wear a mani for.

11. What mani are you most proud of, and why?

I think that would be my galaxy nails from the 31 Day Challenge. I had attempted galaxy nails before with limited success, so when I achieved what I did I was so damn happy with them and honestly couldn't stop smiling when I looked at them, it felt like a big personal achievement. 


Here's the part where I'm supposed to pick 11 other bloggers to keep this going, but I have to admit I've struggled so much to find people who haven't done this before, and I didn't want to make them double up. But at the same time, I really wanted to publish this because it's been a draft for sooo long and I felt bad not having done it yet. 

Hopefully I can come back to this when I come across some people who haven't done it yet, in my searching I did discover some good blogs though, that's a plus. I'm so bad at these things, I'm sorry haha.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Melissa,

    Thanks for answering my questions and posting your random facts :) No problem about taking your time- I did too when I was nominated and was only able to find 11 more blogs from the reddit laqueristas blog page.

    I'm sorry that you are getting kidney stones and migraines =( It sounds like you drew the short straw for painful medical conditions.

    You said you love reading... Who is your favourite author/authors? At the moment mine are Ken Follet and Robin Hobb.

    I think it's really cool that you have gone to nail tech school. Are you currently studying or finished? You'll have to share all the nail tech secrets with us =D

    Suzi says feng shei is one of my favourite polishes too! I even have a backup bottle in case it runs out. Is Savvy sold at Priceline? I think I've seen it before but not tried it- I will have to buy a bottle now =D

    It's funny- In every leibster award post I've read on different blogs, people have said that taking photoes is their biggest challenge. I actually bought a new little camera a few months ago but I still wasnt happy so I've started using my fiances fancy camera... but I'm a novice at the moment. I think that lighting is the problem.... I dont know =(

    Anyway- sorry for asking more questions! haha

    *hugs*

    Chandelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that page out!

      Haha yeah, I really did. I ended up in hospital a few months ago thanks to kidney stones and it revealed a few other problems, but I take it all in stride and try to manage everything to the best of my ability.

      I'm not sure if I have a favourite really. I like Australian authors like Tim Winton and John Marsden. I'm also a fan of Haruki Murakami and Jonathan Franzen. But it chops and changes all the time for me haha. I'll have to look into your favourites, I'm not sure I've ever heard of them.

      I only started my course in July, most of the theory work is online so it's a 'work at your own pace' sort of thing, but I do all the practical stuff in work placement, which I should hopefully be starting next year when I get my kit, I'll be sure to post about it!

      I recently got Suzi Says Feng Shui for my birthday, so it's only a new bottle but I think I'll be getting a backup. Yeah, Savvy is at Priceline, usually in a stand in the makeup aisles, they're only 3 dollars and I think I've got almost the whole collection. They're really great.

      Yeah, I've never been skilled in photography, but I picked up a few editing and angle tips while browsing nail blogs and it's helped. I use a fancy camera too, but there's so many settings that I don't know where to start sometimes, so I mostly stick to the macro setting. I just think I need a light box. But I don't have the material or anywhere to safely keep it from being damaged. Just hoping that summer brings a lot of good sunny days, so that I can use all the natural light haha.

      No problem, I enjoy it. It's good to talk to someone else who loves doing their nails as much as I do :)

      xxx

      Delete

I read and appreciate everybody's comments even if I sometimes don't reply to them Xx